Monday, September 1, 2008

Downtown-Chinatown

Oh man. I wish I could put up more photos; unfortunately, the connection here in the hostal is kinda tricky.

Man. They speak a seriously Mexican Spanish here. Imagine, Mexican Spanish in Mexico. I know. But after such a long time in Chile, learning to speak Chileno, Mexican Spanish is easy by comparison. The vocabulary is definitely different, that's been fun/challenging, but they pronounce nearly ALL of their s's, and their d's... so different than Chile. When people hear me speak, they get a little thrown off and ask me where I learned Spanish, and some initially ask me if it's Chilean... I love that. :) It makes me want to hold on to my Chilean accent. ;) Vamos a ver.

Also, I was just commenting to my friend Katie... After all I've heard and read and experienced about this City, I've found it beautifully welcoming and friendly. Thankfully, we've had no trouble with our things, they've been secure here in the hostel; everyone we've had to ask for directions has been very helpful (and some also enjoy practicing their English with us-- hard to blame them)... it's been a great first few days.

Tomorrow, we 5 English teachers have our specific orientation, beginning at 9 am... meaning we have to get ourselves and our approximately 15 pieces of luggage into taxis and over to this other building, then sit for some some meetings. Supposedly our "tutors" (the professors with whom we will be working at our respective institutions) will come to pick us up from there. My friend Victoria and I will be living about half an hour away from each other, which should be fun. I think (before seeing things), that I will live in Lerma, where my university is actually located, instead of in Toluca where I originally thought I would be. It may be less mobile, but hopefully I will get used to that and eventually enjoy it.

Oh, and this post's label: today we tried to get cell phones, but were deterred-- we'll each have to get them in our respective cities. We went for lunch to Chinatown, this one random alley/pedestrian walkway close to our hostel... it was great. Later we went to see a Mexican movie, "A-M-O-R letra por letra." It was great; after being sort of disappointed with Chilean cinema, I'm excited to see more of Mexico's offerings.

Ok, I think it's time for us to go pack. Hope you're all well--shoot me an email when you get a chance! ;)

besitos~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay mari! i'm so happy that you're so thrilled there... BUT the reason por la cual te dejo este mensajito is because i'm really excited you're diving into mexican film! it is quiiite good (so's argentine but maybe that's because i'm bias -- and i can't knock spain either.. but really i feel like they're the leaders in latin america). ok i'm done now. =) te quiero mil. espero q te compres un celular prontiiiiissimo para que te pueda llamar siiii? mua!!
<3 me

Rachel said...

Mari! So excited for you! I'm definately going to keep updated (via this and your sister) on your happenings down in Mexico! Maybe if I get sent down south for a Baja trip we can get together (yes, i know those two places are far apart, but i'd try to hop over the bay)