Monday, October 6, 2008

The teacher is still the student.

I just figured out how to teach present progressive versus the present simple! "Simple," I know, but a big deal. To be able to present it in a way that my student, Gonzalo, understands it, with some timelines, etc... I'm pumped.

Every day here is a learning experience, which is a big part of the reason why I like visiting other countries so much... every day I hear a new phrase, see a word written on a billboard, hear a different intonation for a word, and of course, come up against a new difficulty regarding teaching English. Today I was in my friend Nirvana's class, going over some pronunciation, and we were talking about ordinal numbers. For the class' sake, she asked me what we use ordinal numbers for (first, fourth, etc), and I had to think about it for a second--we use it for dates! Very different from Spanish, in which they use simply the cardinal numbers-- el dos de noviembre--> November 2nd.

I'm sitting here planning a mini-workshop for my fellow teachers, and typing up 14 pages of US idioms... it's a wonder that anyone learns English, with all the crazy things we do with it.

Oh, also went to the salsa class at my gym tonight... man, sometimes I wish my hips could do these things that the Mexican women's do. :)

The beginning of another great week--I can already tell. :)

Hasta pronto--besos!

1 comment:

caliteachndesign said...

Hello! I found your website in passing, and I like the small details that give me a view of life in Mexico. I'm an American currently teaching English in Japan, and I'm definitely planning to apply for a Fulbright ETA in Mexico as well. If you feel like passing along some advice - anything would be appreciated! - my address is emersonj@ucla.edu. Thanks in advance!